MassRobotics Lab Manager
The role of the Lab Manager is to oversee MassRobotics laboratory facilities (involving purchase, inventory, calibration, electronic and mechanical construction, trouble-shooting and repair) for all shared equipment. This person shall maintain MassRobotics networking and computer hardware and software. The Lab Manager shall provide technical assistance to residents on an as needed basis. The Lab Manager will assist with instructional delivery and oversee Residents and staff working in the shared laboratory to ensure safety. This is a full time position.
- Responsible for the overall organization, setup and maintenance of the MassRobotics laboratory facilities, involving coordination with other MassRobotics staff.
- Provide training and assistance to residents on laboratory tools, equipment and robots
- Maintain proper safety at all times
- Evaluate, cost and requisition machine shop and prototype laboratory supplies, equipment and materials
- Be responsible for the physical condition (facilities, organization, neatness, safety) of all shared laboratories and for the machine shop facilities.
- Be responsible for inventory, calibration, and repair/replacement of all MassRobotics equipment and computers used in the facilities
- Supervise technical and machine shop support staff.
- Provide assistance to program / marketing staff for software, mechanical and electro-mechanical demonstrations for events. Provide on-site support in outside MassRobotics facilities.
- Provide networking, computer hardware, and computer software assistance.
- Research and provide recommendations for additional equipment
- Work with other staff and faculty in meeting all program needs.
- Performance of other duties as assigned.
- At least 3-5 years of related experience in lab support of management
- College graduate or equivalent experience, including in particular electro-mechanical design, fabrication, assembly and test. Associates degree or equivalent in appropriate engineering or technology field, with 5-10 years relevant experience highly desirable.
- Requires a basic understanding of the tools, equipment, methods and practices of electro-mechanical technical trades, such as best practices for cutting aluminum extrusion.
- Ability to develop working electronic systems, experiments and laboratory apparatus appropriate to robotics engineering.
- Ability to design, implement, and debug embedded software for robotics applications.
- Experience in setup, maintenance and troubleshooting of PC, laptop, server, and networking hardware.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows and UNIX operating systems and the Robot Operating System.
- Willingness to acquire and maintain skills and knowledge appropriate to implementing new developments relevant to robot assemblies, design and fabrication.
- Experience with using and maintaining 3D printers along with knowledge about the landscape of desktop 3D printers.
- Ability to communicate and translate technical ideas or abstract visions with students of multi-cultural backgrounds and differing skill levels.
- Demonstrated technical skills to perform the duties of the position, including experience with both analog and digital circuits, embedded systems, software, electro-mechanical components, and mechanical assemblies. Light duty repair capabilities are desired.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritizing as appropriate, and seeking help where needed.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, including the ability to work productively with a wide range of people.
12 Channel Street, Boston, MA 02210
© 2024 MassRobotics
Subscribe to the MassRobotics Newsletter
Learn about our residents and partners, participate in our events and challenges, and receive robotics and AI industry news.